Monday, November 28, 2011

Fantasy and Reality

Here are two of my favorite songs. Or the lyrics to two of my favorite songs. The first is "She" by Elvis Costello from the Notting Hill soundtrack. This song is my idea of the woman I would want to be to my husband.

"She
May be the face I can't forget
The trace of pleasure or regret
May be my treasure or the price I have to pay
She
May be the song that summer sings
May be the chill that autumn brings
May be a hundred different things
Within the measure of a day

She
May be the beauty or the beast
May be the famine or the feast
May turn each day into a heaven or a hell
She may be the mirror of my dreams
The smile reflected in a stream
She may not be what she may seem
Inside her shell

She
Who always seems so happy in a crowd
Whose eyes can be so private and so proud
No one's allowed to see them when they cry
She
May be the love that cannot hope to last
May come to me from shadows of the past
That I'll remember till the day I die

She
May be the reason I survive
The why and wherefore I'm alive
The one I'll care for through the rough and ready years
Me
I'll take her laughter and her tears
And make them all my souvenirs
For where she goes I've got to be
The meaning of my life is

She
She, oh she"

Here is the LINK to the live performance of the song on the Late Show.



The next song gets closer to the reality of who I think I probably am to Tyler. Closer to how most men think about their wives. Simply tender. Not quite so expressive or dramatic. It's "Close Enough to Perfect" by Alabama. The song came to me this morning. Tyler makes me feel "close enough to perfect" for him.

"Sometimes her morning coffee's way too strong
And sometimes what she says, she says all wrong
But right or wrong, she's there beside me
Like only a friend would be
And that's close enough to perfect for me

Now she's been known to wear her pants too tight
And drinking puts her out just like a light
Heaven knows she's not an angel
But she'd really like to be
And that's close enough to perfect for me

She kisses me each morning, and smiles a sleepy smile
She doesn't have to say it, I can see it in her eyes
Don't you worry about my woman
Or what you think she ought to be
She's close enough to perfect for me

Sometimes she gets down and starts to cry
But then again the lady has the right
She's everything I've ever wanted
She's all I'll ever need
She's close enough to perfect for me

She kisses me each morning, and smiles a sleepy smile
She doesn't have to say it, I can see it in her eyes
Don't you worry about my woman
Or what you think she ought to be
She's close enough to perfect for me"

Here's a LINK to the song on you tube (sorry, no video for this one).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers