Wednesday, July 8, 2009

And they lived happily...most of the time

Marriage is hard. If the little things count in the beginning then they count even more after you have children. It is so easy to allow your lives to be consumed by the little ones that you forget to do the little things.

Madeline followed soon after love and marriage...and the baby carriage:). Tyler and I had a little while to adjust to being married and then there was the even bigger adjustment to being parents. I haven't read the love language book but I can pretty safely say that my love language is touch- and is closely followed by words- mostly words like "how can you be so beautiful and such a wonderful mom?" Those words would be nice.

Some women say that they wish their husbands would keep their hands off of them. I said to a friend the other day that if Tyler wants our marriage to be a great marriage that he is just going to have to accept that I want his hands on me at all times. But I don't mean that in a dirty or sexual way. I just mean that I love to be loved on. Once again, little things. Holding hands driving down the road. Sitting by me watching tv instead of 2 feet away in the recliner. Putting an arm around me. A hug. I LOVE hugs.

I love flowers and cards too- just thought I would mention that in case anyone is taking notes.

Anyway, I'm not sure what Tyler's love language would be...garage sales and saving money. Me not buying shoes. Having dinner prepared instead of going out. I think those are things that make him feel loved and happy. I know he likes it when I hug him, though.

Anyway, after almost 4 years and 2 kids we are starting to work on our marriage. I know that might not make sense but let me see if I can explain...Our love came quickly and easily. Our wedding happened quickly and easily. Having healthy beautiful children came quickly and easily for us (thank You) so now it is time to work on us. To work on our marriage instead of just being married. To make an effort to have a great marriage instead of an okay marriage.

I love my husband. I love him even more when he takes an extra 30 seconds in the morning to hug me before he gets up to get ready for work. You made my day this morning, Tyler. And because of that act, I didn't buy shoes today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers